It will be good preparation for our new blogger, Kitty Kumhere. A good place to start is what feminism is not
1. It is not opening the doors for women behind you. I leave the door open for people regardless of their gender.
2. It i not putting the seat down on the toilet. That’s common courtesy.
3. It is not gender neutral bathrooms. Somewhere the struggle to pass the Equal Rights Amendment got lost in a discussion about bathrooms to trivialize the issue.
4. It is not about multiple orgasms or who comes first. That’s about communication between the couple.
What is feminism?
1. Comparable pay for comparable work. If my agency hired a full time peer specialist, the person should have comparable responsibilities to me and be paid comparable to me.
2. That person should not be expected to leave work in a few years to bear children.
3. Feminism is about sharing responsibilities in the household. One person does not have to do all of the housework while holding a full time job.
4. Feminism is about power. The Republican drive to destroy women’s reproductive rights is an effort to destroy women’s power. It is women’s ability to control when and how to have children that has allowed them to participate in our economy. We have come a long way from the old myth of barefoot and pregnant women.
These are my quick thoughts about feminism, but what do women think about this?
- Does Feminism Need To Be Rebranded? Elle U.K. Says Yes (urspidermedia.wordpress.com)
- Why is ‘feminism’ such a dirty word? (blogs.spectator.co.uk)